Theme  

RSS

Ryan Perry
22/12/2017 4:21 pm  

I am a new member with an old heart for photogrpahy. I was wondering what other people thought about themes in your photographic work. 

I find that themes and cohesiveness are hard to come by in my work and I was looking for strategies to making a cohesive body of work.

cheers,

ryan.

ReplyQuote
John Ringgold
Eminent Member
27/12/2017 12:57 pm  

I try to stick with one theme and look to the photos I publish to my Instagram account.  "Rural Kansas" is ultimately my theme, but occasionally I find other interesting things to shoot.  I think the look and style of my photos are pretty similar whether I am shooting a barn in a field, or an antique couch in a winery I was visiting.  You definitely wont find what I'm having for dinner or any silly stuff in my body of work.  I try to keep it pretty themed.   https://www.instagram.com/explorekansas/

ReplyQuote
Ryan Perry
06/01/2018 9:29 am  

One thing that I've been struggling with myself is find themes, and developing my work so that there is a clear message throughout a body of work. I know some of my images are really good, but there is not a direction to them, meaning they all seem separate and without a story behind them.

I tend to want to document things, but I was wanting to step up my portfolio so that there is a clear, concise direction.

ReplyQuote
John Ringgold
Eminent Member
07/01/2018 10:40 am  

I'd love to take a look at your work.  Do you have a website or post on Instagram?

ReplyQuote
Ryan Perry
08/01/2018 3:39 pm  

Yes, I use Flickr under Ryan Perry, or Lone2BU as my user name 

ReplyQuote
John Ringgold
Eminent Member
09/01/2018 8:10 am  

I love the contrast!  If you were shooting landscapes I think it'd be very Ansel Adams like. Are you using Lightroom to post-process?

Beyond the B/W I don't get a theme in your work.  Granted, I am no expert at all!!!!

What do you love to shoot?  People in action?  Artistic Portraits?  Nature?  Architecture?  In my mind, my theme is rural Kansas, but I do float away from that sometimes, but I think the majority of my shots are rural Kansas.  

But who is to say a "subject" has to be a theme?  What do you love to shoot?  What inspires you to pick up the camera?

ReplyQuote
Ryan Perry
09/01/2018 12:18 pm  

That's what I've been asking myself recently. I find that really interests me is photographing people, not so much street photography, but more so following people and getting to know them using photography.

ReplyQuote
Ryan Perry
09/01/2018 12:18 pm  

i use photoshops elements 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register